7 replies to this topic

#1 WVRiflemannOH

WVRiflemannOH

Master Woodsman

• Moderators
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:37 PM

http://www.outdoorhu...amp;utm_content=

Rac-Em-Bac recently introduced the Bow Mag arrowhead, a cylinder that can hold a .38 or .357 round that fires on impact. The notion of an “arrow bullet” has been around for some time as the ideal combination between stealth and stopping power. On first impression, some hunters may think that the Bow Mag is simply a bang stick shot from a bow. They’re not that far from the truth, but it’s not necessarily a bad thing.

Hmmm, this could be fun....I wonder if this is legal in OH?
"Everyday is a great day to be a Mountaineer"!
"Montani Semper Liberi", ("Mountaineers are Always Free")

#2 ben501st

ben501st

Master Woodsman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 129 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:09 PM

If it counts as an explosive then no. Too bad. Would've made bow hunting way more interesting.
Look fast,shoot straightPosted Image

#3 ben501st

ben501st

Master Woodsman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 129 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:12 PM

It doesn't look like there was much penetration on that boar. I wonder if they will make a .44 mag version.
Look fast,shoot straightPosted Image

#4 WVRiflemannOH

WVRiflemannOH

Master Woodsman

• Moderators
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:40 PM

.38 and the .357 mag on impact should be pretty darn devistating on a point plank range shot like that......

.38 in Hornady has 110 gr projectile and it gets 290 ft/lbs at the muzzle and that would be at the wild boar that should bring one down

.357 mag you use a Win 180 gr projectile and get 557 ft/lbs at the muzzle, and that would be at the wild boar, they would be pretty big..

Think about the "bacon"......LOL

#5 postal2b

postal2b

Master Woodsman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 137 posts
  • LocationCortland

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:12 AM

Interesting but would help people not concentrate more on the shoot.  With an arrow you have to wait for the shoot. Broadside or quartering away are ideal.  With this people would start just shooting at the game at less than optimal situations figuring the bullet would help. Besides if you hit the game in the right place with an arrow that is set up correctly and has the right kinetic energy the bullet would be a waste figuring the arrow passes through anyways.  I haven't had to many arrows not get a pass through in the many deer I have taken.

Like ben501 mentioned, their arrows didn't get much penatration but I figure that is due to the bullet more than the bow set up.  Figure when the arrow hit it fires the bullet which just took all the kinetic energy the arrow had and pushed it back as the bullet was fired.  Wonder how the end just doesn't expode. The casing of the bullet isn't enough to contain the explosion as a gun chamber does.

#6 WVRiflemannOH

WVRiflemannOH

Master Woodsman

• Moderators
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:53 AM

Good points Postal.....Hmmmm, well I'm not sure, I've never seen one of those up close but if I were to guess IF those are to discharge on impact maybe the recoil is kicking the arrow back from penetrating?....

And the casing the ammunition has to set in has to be pretty harden, your right about that also...You would figure that would make that arrow awful heavy and ain't gonna get allot of range....

Yea, I would like to see one of those in real life work....

I still think they would be fun to tinker with....

#7 Hunter69

Hunter69

Tracker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationNorth Canton

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:58 PM

I would also like to see one in person and try it. Sounds like another interesting change to the way we hunt. Ohio, I don't think so.

#8 postal2b

postal2b

Master Woodsman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 137 posts
  • LocationCortland

Posted 07 April 2013 - 05:52 PM

I wouldn't mind to try them out and shoot them myself as long as someone else is paying for the arrows. For an average of ten bucks plus an arrow, it doesn't come cheap to lose or damage them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users